Top 5 Health Benefits of Yoga
- What is yoga?
- Yoga is a low-impact form of exercise that involves the use of meditation, controlled breathing, and postures to achieve improved flexibility, better health, and relaxation.
- Yoga improves flexibility.
- One of the most widely known benefits of yoga is that it can help to improve flexibility. When muscles are tight and you are inflexible, it can cause stress on different areas of the body, including joints and the lower back. Regular practice of yoga can improve flexibility over time and can ultimately help to relieve some of the stress you feel due to tightness and tension.
- Yoga builds strength.
- The different postures that are held when doing yoga can also help to build and tone muscles. Building strength will allow you to look and feel stronger, but that’s not the only benefit! When you tone your muscles when practicing yoga, you also are building strength that can help to protect you from developing things like back pain and arthritis.
- Yoga improves posture.
- When a person has poor posture, it is possible that they are also experiencing back, neck, and/or joint pain. Slouching causes the spine to curve which also causes other areas of the body to become out of alignment. With the regular practice of yoga, poor posture can be corrected which will help to alleviate any pain that is being experienced.
- Yoga gets your blood flowing.
- The poses and postures done in yoga can help to improve circulation. Certain positions that are held when doing yoga can increase the flow of oxygenated blood to organs and limbs. If a person has issues with inflammation or swelling, the regular practice of yoga can help to decrease it over time.
- Yoga raises your heart rate.
- While yoga is a very low-impact exercise, some poses and sequences can raise the heart rate slightly. This can, in turn, affect one’s health for the better. Yoga is able to improve endurance levels, lower resting heart rate, and improve overall cardiovascular functioning.
You do not need to be extremely flexible or an expert to enjoy doing yoga. There are many benefits that come with regularly practicing poses, even if it is just for short amounts of time per day. Yoga is a type of exercise that can be done anywhere, which makes it so versatile. The next time that you are feeling tense or in need of a bit of relaxation, take some time in your house or backyard to practice some yoga!